The OpenAI board of directors is discussing returning to the CEO position with Sam Altman

Vn-Z.vn November 19, 2023, According to The Verge, the OpenAI board of directors is discussing Sam Altman returning to the position of OpenAI CEO.

Altmann, who was abruptly fired by the board without any notice, was "ambiguous" about returning and wanted significant changes in governance, one person said.

It's worth noting that OpenAI president Greg Brockman also offered to leave just hours after Altman was fired, with the two discussing starting another AI company.

Sam-Altman.jpeg

OpenAI's remaining board members include: OpenAI chief scientist Ilya Sutskever, Quora CEO Adam D'Angelo, former GeoSim Systems CEO Tasha McCauley, and Center for Security Strategy Director and Georgetown Emerging Technology Helen Toner.

Multiple sources said Sutskever, who co-founded OpenAI and led its research team, was influential in the decision to fire Altmann this week.

Some information surrounding the event of CEO and founder of chatGPT leaving OpenAI.

According to Greg Brockman, former President and co-founder of OpenAI. Last night (Thursday night local time), Sam received a text from chief scientist Ilya Sutskever, asking to talk on Friday noon. Sam attended a Google Meet meeting where the entire board was present except Greg. Elijah tells Sam that he will be fired and that the news will be out soon.

(Local time,) At 12:19 p.m., Greg received a text from Elijah asking for a quick call back.

At 12:23, Ilya sent a Google Meet link. Greg was told he would be removed from the board (but he was important to the company and would keep his position), and Sam was fired. At the same time, OpenAI published a blog post.

It didn't take long for the management team to realize this, except for interim CEO Mira Murati, who found out the night before.

On November 18, Vietnam time. ( Friday local time) OpenAI announced that Sam Altman will step down as CEO and leave the board of directors, and will be replaced by chief technical officer Mira Murati, effective immediately.

OpenAI's board of directors said in a blog post that after a "deliberate review process," they concluded that Altman had not been consistently forthright in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to carry out the responsibilities of the board of directors. “The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue leading OpenAI.”

Altman's X post: "I loved my time at OpenAI, it was revolutionary for me and hopefully the world. Most of all, I loved working with such talented people. More details will be discussed later."

Top Bottom